Once you have made up your mind to buy a home, the next question that comes into your mind is “Should I buy a house or an apartment ?”
ADVANTAGES OF AN APARTMENT
• One of the key advantage of an apartment is the security for your family members in the event you are traveling or for the expensive house hold goods.
• An apartment which is part of a large development will have a pool, well maintained garden and landscaping as part of the complex. This will provide space for you and your family to take a stroll and relax.
• Club facilities will provide you access to gym, spas, golf courses, etc… which will help you to lead an active and healthy life – a must need in the current high stress environment.
• No war of words with neighbors for parking space. The parking slots are well defined and allocated in case of flats.
• Some apartment complexes have staff that comes to collect payments for usage of utilities such as electricity, water, internet etc which removes any hazel of setting reminders for making payment.
DISADVANTAGES OF AN APARTMENT
• Depending on what services your urbanisation provides, community fees would come at a cost.
• Limited or no freedom to make modifications to the exteriors your home.
• Very limited space to develop interests such gardening or growing smaller farm animals (societies mostly object to the same).
• Sound seepage between the wall of the adjoining apartments or voice from lower or higher floor could irritate you and visa versa especially if you have a nocturnal neighbour.
• If you are a believer in “good walls make good neighbors”, then apartment may not be the best option. A life long problem if you cannot get along with your neighbours in the same floor.
• No flexibility to expand the space for future needs as your children grow or if your parents move in to live with you.
When anyone dream of a home, the picture that emerges in the mind is that of a independent house. Of course there are advantages and disadvantages of living in an independent house.
ADVANTAGES OF INDEPENDENT HOUSE
• An independent house provides you greater degree of freedom.
• Ability to design the house as per your wish.
• Future modification of exteriors as per the latest trends and wishes.
• If you have keen interest in gardening then you would have a space to build on your interest or grow your pets.
• More privacy.
• You can always expand the space as per requirement in the future when your children grow up.
DISADVANTAGES OF INDEPENDENT HOUSE
- Security is a concern and will come at a significant cost.
- The costs are no more shared, you have to pay full cost of maintenance.
- No club facilities.
An alternate option which could help to capitalize on the advantages of an apartment and independent house would be to own villas in gated residential projects. This option would provide the key advantages of an apartment such as security and other facilities and also provides a greater degree of freedom similar to an independent house. However there are few disadvantages such as limited flexibility to design the exterior and amount of independent space in front of the house.